We probably don’t blog because our dogs want us to. I know Honey would much prefer I stand out in the yard and toss a ball over and over until she decides she’d rather play tug. Or chase. Or have a snack.
A few different bloggers have raised interesting issues lately about balancing the needs of a successful blog with the needs of a successful life:
- Amy Burkert of Go Pet Friendly wrote about feeling Bullied by the Blog,
- Edie Jarolim of Will My Dog Hate Me confessed she was Also Bullied, and
- J.D. Roth over at Get Rich Slowly (not a pet blog but J.D. is a serious animal lover) announced he would not be offering an anticipated program on blogging in an effort to keep a good work/life balance.
What those three bloggers have in common is that they are either relying on their blog to support them or to promote their primary source of income.
So why do I blog?
I too was curious to know if this medium would allow me to create a new way of supporting myself. What could be better than working from home with your dog by your side?
But I found I liked blogging for varied reasons that might get in the way of making money:
- I love just tossing off quick posts without worrying about multiple drafts and lots of editing.
- I love having pictures and text that serve as a record of Honey’s growing up (I wish I had this for my previous dogs).
- I love reading other blogs and being in the company (digitally) of other people who are in love with their dogs.
- And I love not having to worry about whether I’m making an income from this–it’s fun to have a hobby.
Thinking about whether Something Wagging This Way Comes could turn into a blog that generates income gives me a stomach ache. So for now, I’m just going to keep having fun.
And I’ll launch a new site in January called Hands On Home Buyer that should also be fun if a little less furry.
So why do you blog? Is it because you’re in love with the animals in your life and you need to share that? Are you trying to change the world for the better? Are you hoping to support yourself financially?
And when you do blog, what is the most fun?
And finally, what do the animals (humans and otherwise) in your life think of your blogging?
This is Saturday Blog Hop so I’m really looking forward to hearing from you. And hope you have fun visiting the other bloggers!