I often think about the limits we put on our dogs.
- They only go for a stroll when we say it’s okay and usually on the end of a leash.
- We choose when and what they eat.
- Every time they signal a need to go out while we’re busy, they get called a mother-lovin’ fornicator.
It can’t be easy.
And being on vacation adds its own stresses. For Honey, at least
- gets dragged in and out of restaurants without once getting to order off the menu,
- has a camera continually stuck in her face, and
- has to listen to dozens of people talking about their deceased Golden Retrievers while stroking her fur.
The last one has her facing a kind of existential crisis. Honey thought dogs lived forever.
To make up for the things we want her to do, I try to build in activities that are especially fun for Honey. For every hour of mini golf, she gets to roll in stinky things on the beach. Quietly sitting under a restaurant table leads to a fast game of fetch. And going on the dolphin watching boat ride earns her hole digging privileges.
Dog want so much to please us. Which is why we can drag them along wherever we want to go. Few cats would put up with it.
So instead of always asking myself, “what can we get Honey to do with us next?” I need to remember to ask, “what would Honey like to do on vacation?”
Pet Travel Shout-Out
One of the best examples of someone who plans active fun that suits her dogs can be found at You Did What With Your Weiner. Blogger Jess has not been posting much lately. But the site is full of descriptions and great photos of hiking with her dachshunds, Chester and Gretel, in the Seattle area.
Anyone who has ever met a doxie knows they are scrappy athletic dogs. The only thing that makes them “lap dogs” is their size. But they have a big dog spirit in a small dog body.
I love reading about the hiking wiener dogs. And I really look forward to meeting the crew at BlogPaws in Salt Lake City. Go check them out and be inspired to have adventures with your dogs—no matter what their size.
What is your dog’s favorite thing to do on vacation?