What do you get for the pet blogger who has everything?
How about compliments, link love, and a big dose of encouragement?
Great Gifts Money Can’t Buy
You may have noticed we have a gift-giving holiday coming up. Y’know, the one that calls for colored lights and fake snow about the time you’re buying Halloween candy.
I’d like to celebrate the season with my community of animal lovers by sharing a tradition I introduced at one of my old jobs: Holiday Affirmations.
I handed everyone slips of paper, each with a co-worker’s name on it. On each slip, they wrote something they really appreciated about that person. I collected the slips and gave each person all the nice comments from their work friends.
We Don’t Share Our Appreciation Enough
Holiday Affirmations became a big hit and I heard they continued the tradition after I left the job.
I can’t tell you how good it felt to read the lovely words of people I took totally for granted each day.
It meant so much to find out that my words caused one friend to change the way he looked at things. I was gratified to know that another friend found me witty. And it just plain felt good to know that another appreciated all the silly ways I tried to keep up morale around the place.
I’d keep those slips of paper on my refrigerator for months, always smiling when I stopped to reach them.
The only thing that felt better was thinking of all the great qualities of my friends and writing about them. It took only a few minutes but it felt good for a long time afterward.
Give a Gift to Your Favorite Blogger
I’d like to bring the Holiday Affirmation tradition to Blogville. It’s an easy way to share a gift while feeling good yourself for encouraging someone who works so hard at advocating, educating, or just plain entertaining the animal loving community.
Here’s how it works:
- Let me know you want to join the fun by commenting below, sending me an email, posting on the Something Wagging Facebook page, or sending me a direct message on Twitter. Make sure you include a link that will help me find your blog or social media sites and your email.
- I’ll match you with another pet blogger, at random.
- I’ll send a message to let you know who you’re paired with.
- Anytime during the month of December, shower your fellow online animal lover with encouragement and compliments. You can write it into a blog post, tweet about them, set up a Pinterest board, or post to your Facebook wall.
- Link your activity to the linky list I’ll put up here on December 1.
- If you do a few different things (Pinterest, Facebook, blog post), you can link each one. This will give link love to you while showing more people how fabulous your blogging partner is. They’ll do the same for you.
It won’t take long. It won’t cost you any money. It will share some linky love. You’ll get lots of kind encouragement from a fellow blogger. And it will be fun.
You might end up paired with someone you don’t already follow and know. But that’s a great chance to meet someone new and to start a new friendship.
Don’t wait. Comment below if you want to join the fun.
UPDATE: Check out the linky list set up for the Pet Blogger Gift Exchange.