I hate spending money on myself. But I don’t mind spending it on my dog.
I’m cheap but…
I have holes in my underwear. But Honey has a new leather leash.
- I don’t want to pay for a car, gas, or insurance. But I have a $400 Doggy Ride bicycle cart that Honey won’t ride in.
- I have no television or cell phone. But I have high-speed internet, two computers, and a wireless modem so I can blog about Honey.
- I haven’t had a medical check up in 23 years and went for 10 years without seeing a dentist. But Honey never misses a wellness appointment. And when asked if we could afford thousands of dollars for her squeaky toyectomy, I didn’t even blink.
- I love being a renter. But I own a house so the landlord can never say Honey has to go.
- A full size bed fits more comfortably in our room. But only a queen mattress allows enough room for Honey to visit on the bed in the morning.
- I hate shopping. But I rented a car to take Honey to the Pet Expo at the local mall.
- I don’t see the need to buy books when we have a great public library. But I own an entire shelf of dog training books.
- Replacing the carpet on the stairs would be cheaper. But I’m getting the treads refinished so Honey doesn’t get her toenails caught in loops of pile.
- I eat beans and rice. Honey eats lightly cooked, meat-based meals.
- I’d have more money in the bank. But I’ve never hesitated to spend money if it means Honey will be healthier, happier, or have a better life with us.
And I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Where are the areas in your life where the animals make out better than you do? Any regrets?