I’ve been a little down this week.
I’m sure I’m not the only one. The news from Japan is horrific. And yet it’s only the latest in a never ending stream of suffering.
This week, I’ve spent more time trying to support my other blog, so I’ve been visiting personal finance sites. And while there are some notable exceptions, I don’t find that a nurturing community.
Very few sites reflected on the disaster in Japan at all. And I don’t know about you, but I find it a little creepy to read yet another article on getting the most bonus points on your credit card while people are wondering when the bodies of their family members will be found in the rubble.
Oh yeah, and don’t get me started on the commenter who, on a finance blog that did write about charitable giving, said she’d never give to charity as long as the government was stealing her money in taxes. How do some people live with themselves?
This is my first post since Tuesday and I haven’t been commenting on as many dog blogs as I like to (sorry, folks!).
But I knew Saturday blog hop was coming and I wanted to post something.
After thinking about it and rejecting a few different ideas, here’s what I really needed to say–
Thank you, pet bloggers, for:
- Hope – which you express in every “chip-in” fund raiser, campaign to promote animal adoption, and advocacy for people and their animals;
- Time – spent writing about causes, raising foster animals, training shelter pets, and speaking up for those who can’t speak for themselves;
- Humor – to show that in the midst of suffering, life continues with joy and laughter;
- Commitment – to take action even when you feel like you’re butting your head up against a wall;
- Appreciation – which you express and share freely;
- Perspective – to see that our relationships with animals are just one piece of an interconnected puzzle that helps us grow and become better humans; and,
- Encouragement – that comes to each person sharing about their losses and struggles.
If you put the first letter of each sentence together, you get HTH CAPE. And that’s what you all are: HTH CAPE. Ok, dumb joke. Sorry.
Sometimes I feel a little silly admitting I write a dog blog. I know most people just don’t get it.
But I’m proud to know the people I’ve met here. And I am grateful for good company.
[Image by Hichako – click link for list of relief agencies.]
This is a blog hop. Hop on: