People are more important than things (I include animals with people in this statement).
This is my mantra.
I repeat it over and over as I look over my wrecked garden. The garden that was once a vision of loveliness to my neighbors and me. The garden that recently became a playground to Honey and her canine friends.
But instead of feeling heartsick, I’m going to look at the positive side of having dog gardening services.
Benefits of Dog Gardening Services
1. I’ll learn which perennials are truly hardy.
If they can survive to come up again in the spring, I’ll know I’ve chosen a winner.
2. Claws break up soil regularly so it doesn’t become compacted.
No worries about compressing the soil too much while weeding. One game of bitey face will turn that soil loose in minutes.
3. The strong doggy scent in the garden means that for once, neighborhood cats won’t use it as their litter box.
Now I just have to worry about stepping in little puppy surprises.
4. I don’t have to cut back my spiderwort after blooming.
It seems that they’ve somehow all been chopped short without me and my pruner.
5. I can see that the dogwoods I planted last year have really taken root.
If not, being crashed into by 150 pounds of combined canine mischief would certainly have knocked it loose.
6. That thistle I didn’t get to remove before it got too big has no chance of surviving now.
If only dogs did as good a job with Bermuda grass, we’d be all set.
7. The slugs that were doing a job on my marigolds have moved on.
Apparently thundering paws frighten slugs away. Or they’ve trampled all the tastiest morsels.
8. The mulch that makes its way from the flower beds into my yard add some much-needed compost to my lawn.
Maybe it will be enough to plant some grass in the spring to compete with the skunk cabbage.
9. And the best reason for having dog gardening services? Once the dogs have finished their gardening, they settle in for a nice long nap.
Your Turn: Do you try to keep the dogs from playing in your garden? Or gave you given up? Any tips you can share for combining a garden with puppy play time?